Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tornado!

This is our hotel in Atlanta. If you look at the top, you can see all the windows that blew out.

We were hit by a tornado! So, here's the scoop. Mike, Kira, and I went down to a dental convention in Atlanta, Georgia this past weekend. On Friday night, we walked to dinner with the Mortensen's. While we were eating, it started raining and the wind was blowing like crazy. So we waited out the storm and walked back to our hotel. As we are walking back, we can hear all these sirens, and then we see all this debris. When we get to the hotel, we find out our hotel was hit by a tornado. Inside the hotel, we saw some guys with their legs cut up. So we go up to our rooms, only to be evacuated to the ballroom which is on floor 7. Well, we were staying on floor 43 and the elevators were closed. So guess what? We walked down 36 flights of stairs. Talk about burning calves! At least we were going down! We eventually made it back to our room and thankfully the window of our room was in tact. The next day we went out to the Aquarium, and when we got back to the hotel, there were also tornado warnings again. So we had to wait again in a holding room before being able to go to our room. The convention ended up being cancelled because of the tornadic events. All in all, it was quite the exciting weekend.

A closer view of our hotel and the blown out windows.

Sherstine and I among the wreckage.

Debris on the ground.

Mike and Kira waiting as we find out what is going on.

Here we are waiting to go up to our room.

8 comments:

Shalae said...

Wow! Not quite the relaxing, fun family get-away you were probably hoping for, although very exciting. How did Kira do traveling?

The Kimbrough Family said...

WOW- That seems pretty exciting especially with a newborn!!

Melissa Dunsmoor said...

Hey Kimmy........ I wrote you a comment yesterday but for some reason it didn't post, so I will try again. Tornados are scarey. I can't believe you were walking around and one hit not too far away. Crazy how weather works, huh? I am so glad you all are safe. Did you get to see the whale shark while you were there? I love those. We had a couple tornado sirens while we were in Ohio but never any hits. Are you thinking of turning into tornado chasers, like that movie with Helen Hunt, after this experience :)

the mortensen's said...

I love that pic of you anf Kira! I need to get skinny! Yikes!

Aggieland Mom said...

We're so glad you all are okay! Tornados are scary. I love that pic of Kira getting her diaper changed! We miss you guys already!

Maddy said...

Oh my gosh! That is so scary! I'm glad you guys are OK, but what a weird thing to have happen. I love how you're standing among the debris smiling! HA HA!

Steuer Family News said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you guys were out of the hotel and safe when it hit! How fun to go to Atlanta though! I've been once and it was a really big, really exciting city! Hope you're doing well.

Crafty Momma said...

How scary!! I can't imagine what it was like especially with Kira! I would be scared. I'm glad to hear you all are alright. Kira is such a cutie!