Sunday, April 27, 2008

Derby Daze!


So I've always dreamed of going to the Kentucky Derby, wearing a Derby Hat and getting dressed all fancy. But the Derby is so expensive to get tickets where we can actually sit (rather than be flashed by nudists in the infield), that it probably won't ever happen. But a girl can still dream... Anyway, I did the next best thing I could think of. Our ward had a derby party with a derby hat competition, so I decided it was now or never. I must make a derby hat. So I tried to let the creative juices flow, but just could never find time. So I threw it together before the party. Guess what? I won first place. Well, I should tell you that no other adult made a hat, so I competed against young women and primary children. Hey, that's still a victory in my book. : ) So I wore my derby hat with pride. Now I'm wondering, what the heck am I going to do with this big old hat now. Anybody want a homemade derby hat?

The pink derby hat in all it's glory.


The hat is ginormous!


Next year, it will be matching hats for the girls!

8 comments:

Shalae said...

Great job, Kimmy! It is a ginourmous hat, but looks just like the ones worn at the Derby. Congrats on your 1st place!

Ryan and Ashley said...

I loved your hat! I think you should keep it for next year.

the mortensen's said...

love it! I'm actually going to derby this year!
to get a picture go to customize and edit you header, there should be a place to download a picture

Maddy said...

OH my gosh, that is so funny! I love that hat!!! Maybe one year you'll get to go. Now I kind of want to go!

Rob and Heather said...

That hat is sooooo beautiful... Sounds like the competition was pretty tough... Congratulations.

Melissa Dunsmoor said...

I love your hat! I bet your ward loves you! I always wanted to go to a derby. Maybe one day we will get to go

Kierra said...

Kimmy, how adorable! I was thinking about you the other day when I read the news on the Kentucky derby...It would be so fun to go!

Aggieland Mom said...

I love it, I love it, I love it! I want to go now too ever since we visited with you guys! Kim you look adorable in that hat. Hot mama! =)