Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sweet Carolina!!!

This is where we stayed.


Mike, Kira, and I took a trip to South Carolina last week. I want to tell you I LOVE South Carolina. Sweet Carolina!!! We had a blast. Mike's aunt and uncle are renovating a historic/plantation home there which they let us stay in. (It wasn't haunted, thankfully.) We spent most of our time in historic Charleston. The houses were amazing and the weather was perfect. Here's where we went:

  1. Fort Sumter (where the Civil War began)
  2. The Battery (a park with artillery from the Civil War)
  3. Middleton Plantation (Middleton was a signer of the Declaration of Independence)
  4. Isle of Palms - the Beach
  5. U.S.S. Yorktown (an air craft carrier from WWII)
  6. Clagmore Submarine (a sub from WWII)
  7. Biltmore Mansion (or should I say castle) in North Carolina
  8. Cumberland Falls outside of Corbin, Kentucky

Mike's aunt and uncle's home was built in 1890.

I think Kira enjoyed the trip as much as we did!

Mike and Kira on the boat to Fort Sumter.

Kira's livin' it up!

Outside of Fort Sumter

Fort Sumter

Mike frolicking at the battery.

View of the ocean from the battery

Beautiful Grounds at Middleton Plantation

Little Kira with the flooded rice fields in the background

Butterfly ponds at the Middleton Plantation

The plantation was so green!

The thinking man

Yep, I milked my first cow!

Our sweet baby girl was the best traveler.

Kira loved my beach chair. She hogged it the whole time.

The Isle of Palms had warm water and sweet sand.

The U.S.S. Yorktown

They said that 10,000 chocolate chip cookies fed the crew of 3,500 for one day. This is the recipe to make 10,000 cookies. Insane!

This Clagmore sub had such tight living quarters. I never could have lived on it. I barely fit through it taking the tour.

These are the cots on the U.S.S. Yorktown. There are 4 cots in each vertical row. Once again, I just couldn't have done it!

There was a dental area on the air craft carrier. There were 4 operatories, x-ray room, and a dental lab.

Mike loved looking at the planes. His dream when he was little was to be a jet pilot. That dream was shattered when he realized he was color blind. I think I prefer the color blind dentist to the risk taking jet pilot.

This is the Biltmore mansion. It is the biggest home I have ever seen. It measures 4 acres inside the house. The tour took us 4 hours!

One of the green areas at the Biltmore.

The grounds of the Biltmore Castle!

Check out the view!!

Some of the gardens at the Biltmore.

Cumberland Falls - One of only two waterfalls in the world with a moonbow.

Cumberland Falls

15 comments:

Shalae said...

It looks like you guys had an awesome trip! How fun to be able to go to historic places like those! Kira is getting so chubby and cuter every time I see her!

Aggieland Mom said...

That trip sounds like so much fun! I can't belive that mansion! And Aunt Na and Uncle Vals house...amazing! I had no idea it was so HUGE. I loved all the pictures, you guys are just so dang cute. And congrats to Mike on being a senior, we can't believe it either! Time flies.

the mortensen's said...

we don't know yet. she was the picture of perfect health.
p.s. you look fabulous on the beach!
how was your workout with Mike? He just left a message on Wayne's phone saying he is "deed"(dead) we are still laughing!

Jami said...

That trip looks awesome! What an incredible mansion to tour! I'm so glad you are taking advantage of seeing those while you are out there! Little Kira is so adorable, by the way!

Max Fam said...

fun trip! Owen loved the pics of Kira sportin' her suit! :)

Steuer Family News said...

What an amazing, awesome trip! I am so jealous b/c I absolutely adore history and traveling! How fun and how incredible that Mike's aunt and uncle own an 1890 plantation!

Me said...

Oh my gosh, that is gorgeous!! And so are you! You look so cute & your family, too. that mansion is out of control! and I didn't know there was so much history in South Carolia. Cool!! Did you get to see Kierra?

Perrero Clan said...

What AMAZING photos! I wanted to comment on all of them! You look so amazing in your swimsuit! I love the picture of you jumping in the air...and mikey too ;) Your little girl is sooo smiley and cute! Love her hairbands! That is awesome you took advantage of the school break and took a trip! Looks like some awesome experiences!

Heather said...

It looks like you had so much fun. I'm glad the weather cooperated. You looked so excited to be at the beach. Your dream spot... Kira is doll - so smiley and happy.

Crafty Momma said...

it is so beautiful there! How fun!! I really want to do a trip like that and I'm sure we will. Kira is such a doll. Her legs are chunkin' up ;) you guys look so happy!

Steve, Christy & Roscoe said...

Hi Kim!!! Your trip to South Carolina looks like so much fun! I love the pictures and it looks like you got to go to a bunch of cool places while you were there. I wanna know how the Biltmore was?!! I'm excited to see you at camp too--should be fun! We are having our fundraiser this weekend. Hope it goes well.

Megan said...

It looks like you guys had oodles of fun! You and Mike have mad hops! I can't believe that mansion. It bet it was amazing to look at!

The Meyers said...

Wow looks liek you guys had alot of fun. I just want you to know that I really enjoyed all the frolicking pics. Kira is too cute!

Melissa Dunsmoor said...

You guys are hilarious. And looks like you guys are just having to much fun. Kira is getting so big. Loved all the pictures

Heather Mills said...

this looks like the funnest trip ever! I think my favorite is Mike frolicking.